Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Drugstore Tinted Lip Balms: Revlon, L'Oreal, Maybelline

This Fall/Winter, many drugstore makeup brands have released tinted lip balms that boast rich pigmentation, along with intensely moisturizing ingredients.

I've collected one tinted lip balm from Revlon, L'Oreal and Maybelline in order to compare the pigmentation and effectiveness of each. I also purchased two of the clear Maybelline Baby Lips lip balms to see how they compare with the tinted ones.

Left to right: Revlon Lip Butter in 050 Berry Smoothie, L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in 518 Tender Mauve, Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in 05 Quenched, 10 Peppermint, 20 Grape Vine

Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie (without flash)

Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie (with flash)


L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Tender Mauve (with flash)

L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Tender Mauve (without flash)


Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in Grape Vine (without flash)

Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in Grape Vine (with flash)

Maybelline Baby Lips in Quenched

Maybelline Baby Lips in Peppermint




Swatches (left to right): Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie, L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Tender Mauve, Maybelline Baby Lips in Grape Vine (without flash)

Swatches (left to right): Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie, L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Tender Mauve, Maybelline Baby Lips in Grape Vine (with flash)
For the purposes of this review, I chose one similar colour from each brand so that I could compare the pigmentation of each. 

Revlon Lip Butter in Berry Smoothie

Pros:
-Nicely pigmented
-Applies smoothly
-Applies evenly
-Hydrating
-Not sticky or greasy
-Coloured packaging matches the colour of the product

Cons:
-~$10 CAD each
-Unscented (with a name like Berry Smoothie, you expect it to smell good!)

Grade: A-

L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Tender Mauve

Pros:
-Applies evenly
-SPF 15
-Coloured packaging matches the colour of the product
-Has a slight vanilla scent and flavour (in my opinion, this is a good thing)
-Nice packaging
-Hydrating
-Not sticky or greasy
-Contains some shimmer (I'm indifferent about this as I would normally not go for shimmer, but it's nice to have the option in case that's what I'm looking for)

Cons:
-More expensive than the Revlon Lip Butter (~$11 CAD)
-Poor pigmentation in comparison with the Lip Butters
-Sometimes has a slight 'gritty' texture to it, probably as a result of the shimmer

Grade: B+

Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in Grape Vine

Pros:
-More than half the price of the other tinted lip balms mentioned in this review (~$4)
-Scented (again, this is my personal preference)
-Applies evenly
-Applies smoothly
-Doesn't apply as thickly as the Lip Butter or Balm, even though the other two aren't very thick to begin with
-SPF 20
-Hydrating
-Not sticky or greasy

Cons:
-doesn't come in a variety of colours

Grade: A

**Peppermint and Quenched are great! I actually like them better than Grape Vine. I think the pigmentation in Grape Vine makes it 'thinner' in consistency, which may not necessarily be what you want from a lip balm. 
Peppermint gives that 'tingly' effect to your lips while Quenched has a mild sweet scent that is difficult to describe!

Overall, I think these are all very good products, but the Baby Lips Lip Balms are a better value for your money (in terms of hydration). If you're looking for pigmentation and hydration, I definitely recommend the Lip Butters. As I have only tried one of the Colour Riche balms, I can't say much, but of the one I have tried, I'm not as impressed with them as I am with the Lip Butters.

Available on Amazon:

8 comments:

  1. Great review, I wanted to buy some of the Baby Lips lip balms, but I wasn't sure if they were good :) Probably going to buy the pepermint one and the grape one too :) But I have to say that I love the Revlon lip butters!
    www.lipsticksandglitters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Great post, I love lipbalms.

    I created a blog three days ago, my first three posts are:
    Lush Haul
    My fav 4 mac paint pots
    And Kate Moss Rimmel London Lipstick review.
    Please check it out and sub if you like what you see.
    http://allthingsbeautymake-upandshopping.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I was debating whether or not to buy Baby Lips, thanks to this review I definitely will!

    www.theeasternpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great review! I received a lot of the baby softs in my stocking for Christmas! I got Peach Kiss, cherry Pie, and pink punch. I love the peach one, its a pretty nude on my lips you should try it if you are looking for a subtle color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! I'm glad this review has helped everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love babylips! I have the peppermint and the peach ones. I also has a Revlon Lip Butter in the color Cotton Candy, but it has almost no pigmentation and a ton of shimmer.
    Awesome review!

    http://niksconfessional.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, the L'Oreal pigmentation was so lacking, it made me like the Revlon more believe it or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love babylips! Great review :)
    jackie from kitchdiaries.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete