Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

NYC City Duet Eye Shadows

N.Y.C. (New York Color) is one of those 'hit and miss' brands that have some really good products and really bad ones. They're also a brand that has improved greatly within the past few years.

When I saw these duos, I wasn't really drawn to them. It was only until Rexall (Canadian Drug Store) had a sale on the entire NYC line that I decided I would give them a try. I bought each of these for $1.29 during the sale, but regularly they are anywhere between $2-4, depending on where you go.

NYC City Duet Eye Shadows

Back of the packaging

Covering the eyeshadows is a piece of clear plastic which acts as a tray for the sponge tip applicator. It also indicates the suggested placement of each colour.

Island Sunset

Upper Zest Side

Bowling Green

Yankee Blues

NYC Times

Island Sunset, Upper Zest Side

Bowling Green, Yankee Blues

NYC Times


I think these eyeshadows are great. Not only are they soft and pigmented, but they're also completely matte and create little fall out.

I would suggest wearing these over some sort of base (in addition to using a primer) to help intensify the colours and prevent them from fading.

Out of the 5 duos, I'm least impressed with the black and white one, pigmentation-wise.

I think the plastic cover on the inside is unnecessary, but I understand the reasoning behind it. It's meant to keep the eyeshadow from spilling out everywhere in the event that they shatter. It's could also be meant to keep out moisture and to label the suggested area of application for each colour. Wet n Wild got around that by stamping the single word directions into the eyeshadow itself, but in NYC's case, they stamped the brand name.

I recommend these if you're look for good quality, affordable matte eyeshadows.


Pigmentation: 4.5/5
Packaging: 3/5
Staying Power: 4/5
Price: $2-4
Availability: Rexall, WalMart

Available on Amazon:


The Daily Swatch on Twitter | Tumblr | HelloCotton | BlogLovin | Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. Wow, these are a lot more pigmented than I expected them to be! I bet they would look amazing over milk jumbo pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seen these at Rexall too but passed on them thinking they wouldn't be pigmented, but I will def check it out next time. Great review.

    BeautyMakeUpAddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hun I just wanted to let you know I awarded you with a blog award. You can check it out here. http://beautymakeupaddict.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-aaward-backlog.html

    ReplyDelete