Search This Blog

Friday, May 11, 2012

Changing the Colour of Your Brush Handles

Glitter nail polish on brush handles

Most brush handles are black which looks sleek and uniform, but sometimes this can get boring. I was inspired by a video on YouTube about painting the tips of your brushes with nail polish, but I took it a step further and painted the entire handle.

I painted my Coastal Scents, E.L.F. and older brushes in case it didn't work out. I recommend trying this with your less expensive brushes in case you don't like how it turns out.

Before you begin, make sure you're either outside or in a very well-ventilated room (windows and doors open, etc).

All you have to do is cover the brush ferrule (metal piece between the bristles and the handle) with tape to protect it and take your chosen nail polish and cover the handle with a thin layer.

The brush ferrule with tape on it.

Wait until it dries and add another thin layer. Keep adding layers until you get the desired effect. I recommend working on one brush at a time and waiting until each layer has fully dried before you add another.

You can place the ferrule under a book on the edge of a table so that it can air dry on its own. It'll take about a day to fully dry so that you can use it without worrying about the polish smudging. Once it's dry, remove the tape and that's it!

This is also a great way of preserving some of your favourite nail polishes if they are limited edition or running out. This way, you always have some if it! I also use glitter nail polishes that are difficult to remove from nails. Instead of throwing them out, I use them to paint my brushes.

Here are the ones I've done:


Essie Luxeffects Shine of the Times

Wet n Wild Born Into Privilege

Orly Rage

L.A. Colors Star Light

L.A. Colors Sassy Sparkle

Revlon Gold Coin

Orly Ingenue

L.A. Colors Silver Glitter

Orly Winter Wonderland, L.A. Colors Sassy Sparkle

Wet n Wild Bow in My Presence
This is also a great alternative to buying brushes that have gems or rhinestones on them. Gems can easily fall off while nail polish will adhere to brush handles very well and won't come off with day to day use.

What are your favourite nail polishes? Have you ever painted your brush handles before?


The Daily Swatch on Twitter | Tumblr | HelloCotton | BlogLovin | Pinterest



3 comments:

  1. This is a really cute idea that I never thought of!! My favorite nail polish collection right now are the Spoiled polishes by Wet N Wild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! :) I just googled the Spoiled polishes and they look amazing! I hope they are released in Canada :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea, I have so many glitzy nail polishes that I do not use that would be perfect for this! So glad I saw this!

    ReplyDelete